The “Telltale Deck ‘o Cards” Project

Comments

• edited February 2011
    If after we're done with the decks people have more ideas, may I suggest doing a 78 deck? (Add cavaliers (between Jack and Queen), the excuse and 21 trumps).

I like designing card decks. Actually, I feel like linking to my Order of the Stick ones I made a while back.

(Yes, blatant promotion, I know).

Also, amazing work here, guys. Can't wait to see the finished product.
  • edited February 2011
    Would I be able to do the Heavy? He was in Poker Night after all.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm gonna go ahead and call a second card if nobody minds. Larry Palaroncini for 7 of Diamonds, please!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Two weeks to go!
    I've made my first sketches after finishing my other Sam & Max project. First attempts were ugly, so it's going to take a little while. ;)

re. divisionten's spotty internet: I took the massive liberty to put lombre up for his desired card and updated the first post.

Also, Avistev, what's your card??

And TheGentleman, what card would you like for the Heavy?
  • edited February 2011
    Hmm, since all the recent Deck o' cards Project submissions in the TTG-FC DA group I've been thinking a lot about a folder for the Deck o' cards project. Should I create one?
  • edited February 2011
    Have we seriously not got anyone doing a Sam card yet? We need to find someone!...Someone who's better at drawing him than we hopefully :P
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I did Sameth which is close I guess?
    Hmm, since all the recent Deck o' cards Project submissions in the TTG-FC DA group I've been thinking a lot about a folder for the Deck o' cards project. Should I create one?

I was thinking of asking you about it actually.
  • edited February 2011
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    Well, I did Sameth which is close I guess?

Well I guess, I'm just surprised no-one's wanted to draw Sam's card. :/
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I imagine people are just avoiding the more obvious ones in favor of characters that don't get as much attention.
  • edited February 2011
    Here's my Larry Palaroncini card.
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/lombre459/LarryPalaronciniCard.png

I think it turned out pretty good. Or as Larry would say, "ALRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!" That said, after listening to Night Mamas, Because, It's Midnite, and We Don't Really Even Care About You on endless loop while I was making this, my brain might not be functioning correctly.
  • edited February 2011
    What's going to be on the back of the cards?
  • edited February 2011
    I thought maybe we should do some sort of collaborative effort for the back, but it'd probably end up too crowded or something, not to mention that everything would probably end up pretty small at actual printing size.
  • edited February 2011
    Have we seriously not got anyone doing a Sam card yet? We need to find someone!...Someone who's better at drawing him than we hopefully :P

In my case, I don't want to butcher it. I personally want Stell or Hayley to do such a special card. So it's good that it's still available to choose; and be chosen by one of them
    I thought maybe we should do some sort of collaborative effort for the back, but it'd probably end up too crowded or something, not to mention that everything would probably end up pretty small at actual printing size.

We can make TWO backs, actually. You know, back images for a blue deck and a red deck. In that case making a collab would become slightly easier.
  • edited February 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    In my case, I don't want to butcher it. I personally want Stell or Hayley to do such a special card. So it's good that it's still available to choose.

Seconded. I would love to see Stell do the Sam card.
  • edited February 2011
    WORK IN PROGRESS:

I still have a bunch of work to do and need to put it into card form, but here's what I have so far for Murray as the 3 of Spades. Feedback?

5487535316_562f53138c_z.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    Avistew wrote: »
    What's going to be on the back of the cards?

image.php?u=59175&dateline=1286497388&type=thumbimage.php?u=59175&dateline=1286497388&type=thumbimage.php?u=59175&dateline=1286497388&type=thumbimage.php?u=59175&dateline=1286497388&type=thumb
    image.php?u=59175&dateline=1286497388&type=thumbimage.php?u=59175&dateline=1286497388&type=thumbimage.php?u=59175&dateline=1286497388&type=thumbimage.php?u=59175&dateline=1286497388&type=thumb
  • edited February 2011
    In my case, I don't want to butcher it. I personally want Stell or Hayley to do such a special card. So it's good that it's still available to choose; and be chosen by one of them
    Seconded.

Thirded.
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2011
    I could work on a few, but unfortunately I'm on vacation and I only have a crappy 6 year old notebook to work with. Maybe I'll manage to do something decent with Paint.Net.

Ace of clubs: Theodore Dudebrough (From Telltale Texas Hold'em)

Also:
    Leonard Steakcharmer/Boris Krinkle, Hugh Bliss and Jürgen deserve a card.
    Also we need CSI, Wallace&Grommit and Bone characters
  • edited February 2011

I think we could use the ttg logo (the three circles with the letters) as a print (by which I mean small and repeated, not one big logo), one on a red background and one on a blue one. Since it's a telltale deck, it seems to make the most sense to me, and then no need to collaborate since it's not like anyone is creating the logo.
  • edited February 2011
    I think we could use the ttg logo (the three circles with the letters) as a print (by which I mean small and repeated, not one big logo), one on a red background and one on a blue one. Since it's a telltale deck, it seems to make the most sense to me, and then no need to collaborate since it's not like anyone is creating the logo.

It's what comes to everyone's mind first, but dunno, I think that's just... too easy.
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I thought that perhaps those who would like to design a back for the cards could, and then put it to a vote?
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I thought that perhaps those who would like to design a back for the cards could, and then put it to a vote?

Ehh... I know it'll be hard, but I say a collab would be awesome.
  • edited February 2011
    I could do a card for Marty (Ace of Clubs) and/or Trixie (10 of Hearts). Does this work?
  • edited March 2011
    COWER IN FEAR, Unfortunate Mortal! For today, Fortune hath spit upon thee, and Fate hath given you the finger! Cursed you shall be above all the livestock for today Life has dealt you a hand worse than Death! You have drawn the DEATHCARD! MURRAY: THE THREE OF SPADES!

MWAHAHAHAHA!

murray__the_3_of_spades_by_klatuu_vii-d3aqw4i.jpg

Edit: Rats, I need to redo the size anyway.

Edit edit: Done and done. Full version available at deviantart: http://klatuu-vii.deviantart.com/#/d3aqw4i
    So, TREMBLE IN FEAR, pitiful human, for Murray is reborn! I shall-oh, you know the rest.
  • edited March 2011
    If after we're done with the decks people have more ideas, may I suggest doing a 78 deck? (Add cavaliers (between Jack and Queen), the excuse and 21 trumps).

I'd forgotten about the modern European tarot decks. Since they're basically expansions of the modern sets with the same suits and all, that would certainly make more sense than a formal tarot deck. I must admit, I've never seen a modern-suited 78-card deck.
  • edited March 2011
    I did a quick draft for the Tixie card.
    http://mahha-gogogo.deviantart.com/art/Trixie-Trotter-199334203

Is this alright? I know it's not the right size, I was just experimenting.
  • edited March 2011
    Yes, my good man. It is alright. More than alright.

Saluted wholeheartedly.
  • edited March 2011
    Ehh... I know it'll be hard, but I say a collab would be awesome.

I'd like to chime in and say that a collab for the back of the cards would be amazing!
  • edited March 2011
    It's what comes to everyone's mind first, but dunno, I think that's just... too easy.

I think there is something to be said about simplicity. If you look at the back of cards, they're made to be simple and not take your attention, because the focus is the front of the cards. The back is a placeholder. You don't want it to be noisy or crowded.
    Brainiac wrote: »
    I must admit, I've never seen a modern-suited 78-card deck.

I used to play tarot almost every day in high school during the break. I was in my 20s before I heard of the other kind of tarot, the one with the other suites. Then I researched it, incidentally.
    What it is is simply that hearts, clubs and so on were the suites used in French (for any card game). The English used swords, cups, etc.
    Then the English for some reason took the French suites for the 54 deck but kept their other suites for tarot decks. The French just kept the same suites for everything, as it had always been.

So for people of English descent (or English speakers in general, nowadays), there are two kinds of suites, the ones for "normal" decks and the ones for tarot. But in France, and I assume a bunch of other places, it's just the same.

I wonder if there are places that use different suites. The "French" ones has become pretty standard, it seems to me.
  • edited March 2011
    Klatuu wrote: »
    Deathcard!

I really like how you've made his eye sockets and nose look like the spades symbol! That's clever.
  • edited March 2011
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I really like how you've made his eye sockets and nose look like the spades symbol! That's clever.

Thanks! I was hoping that would come across well!
  • FlyFly
    edited March 2011
    Please may I claim Jurgen for Two of Spades?
  • edited March 2011
    Alright... I've decided to give this a shot after all..

put me down for Sam, Black Joker.
  • edited March 2011
    Awesome!
  • edited March 2011
    I was secretly hoping for two things:

1) Hayley would do a card.

2) Whoever made the Sam card would choose the other Joker.

And now both have come true in one conveniently splendiferous post! Hip hip! :D
  • edited March 2011
    Alright... I've decided to give this a shot after all..

put me down for Sam, Black Joker.

Yay :D
  • edited March 2011
    >///<

Um, is it 750x1050 at 300 dpi? Or at 72 dpi?
  • edited March 2011
    >///<

Um, is it 750x1050 at 300 dpi? Or at 72 dpi?

300 that is.
  • edited March 2011
    Just wondering, when is 3 weeks up?

(Glad to see Sam and Max as the jokers. Definetly fits!)
  • edited March 2011
    OK, people. I'm back. Mostly. I still can't access my email accounts, but I think I can at least use TT again. I'll update the first page.

EDIT: jmm called the remaining face card (the Ace of Spades) first, so it's his- but I really like where light's going with her Trixie card. If you also want to do Marty, he'll have t be a different number. My own cards are almost done.. they required a bit of property reorganization for one... and a lot of cellotape.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.