Steam Walking Dead Out, TELLTALE version OUT NOW!

Comments

• edited April 2012
    I would if they didn't live 5 hours away :S
    not to mention I want to play my own game D:
  • edited April 2012
    reddmhjlh wrote: »
    Way ahead of you!

<Internet High Five!!!!!!!>
  • edited April 2012
    Wow, Just finished doing so many things to get my mind off of the wait...

Went to run, went to tennis, watched 6 ep of hawaii five 0 and watched 3 ep of break out king and its still not released....

VERY SOON my ass...
  • edited April 2012
    You know what steam doesn't offer? A free copy after the season is over for the price of shipping. Stop complaining.
  • edited April 2012
    Epic Kiwi wrote: »
    I'd actually be really surprised if it didn't come out sometime tonight. They're often very close to their announced deadline time, but I haven't seen them miss it completely yet (aside from ToMI ep 5, but they announced the delay for that weeks in advance).

SBCG4AP was delayed about 2 months later, but that was because telltale thought they could sync up PC and Wiiware release dates.
  • edited April 2012
    CheesyChan wrote: »
    I would if they didn't live 5 hours away :S
    not to mention I want to play my own game D:

Ah, that would be a pretty big problem.
  • edited April 2012
    I'd actually be really surprised if it didn't come out sometime tonight. They're often very close to their announced deadline time, but I haven't seen them miss it completely yet (aside from ToMI ep 5, but they announced the delay for that weeks in advance).

Jurassic Park, anyone?
  • edited April 2012
    Incorrect. Telltale very likely has the final say on releases period and it stands to reason Steam got the go ahead from them before they did release the game.
  • edited April 2012
    You know what steam doesn't offer? A free copy after the season is over for the price of shipping. Stop complaining.

Geez, ihad forgotten about that entirely. It'll look great next to my pile of kid-friendly game merch
  • edited April 2012
    crofael wrote: »
    There are some differences between the Steam build and the TTG one. We are currently working our butts off to try and ensure that when everyone who bought the TTG version downloads it, the worst part of the experience was waiting for it to be available.

Thank you for your continued patience.

I honestly don't think anybody believes that you guys aren't working your backsides off to get the game to us :)

I'd always imagined that integration with Steamworks for achievements and that sort of thing would make the Steam the one that required additional time, not the other way around. Any chance you could shed some light on what differences there are between the Steam build and the TTG build (when you guys are done working your butts off, of course)?

Thanks for the post. It's always good to have something other than silence :)
  • edited April 2012
    Valeris wrote: »
    Incorrect. Telltale very likely has the final say on releases period and it stands to reason Steam got the go ahead from them before they did release the game.

Steam has released stuff before telltale wanted them to before.
  • edited April 2012

False.
  • edited April 2012
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    SBCG4AP was delayed about 2 months later, but that was because telltale thought they could sync up PC and Wiiware release dates.

Ouch, that was before I got into TTG so I was not aware of that.. But still, they've never had to suddenly delay a game at the 11th hour on the night of the release, right? :P
  • edited April 2012
    Ouch, that was before I got into TTG so I was not aware of that.. But still, they've never had to suddenly delay a game at the 11th hour on the night of the release, right? :P

Nope! That hasn't happened yet.

(At least, in the year before you showed up...)
  • edited April 2012
    Not trying to be rude Nathan, but you don't seem to have a concept of how businesses work. Telltale is the head honcho as far as this goes, they have the licensing rights. Steam is a subsidiary in this instance, which means major decisions goes through the higher ups. They didn't just arbitrarily release it the moment it was finished without some sort of approval.
  • edited April 2012

Worst I remember was Puzzle Agent, that got pretty close to the hour IIRC...

The moral of this story is that we are used to this kind of stuff happening and are ok with it by now... not saying that's a good thing, but still.
  • edited April 2012
    xoRAIDERox wrote: »
    I'm not overly mad nor will I badmouth Telltale, in the end they are doing their part to deliver me a steak on a plate cooked the way it should be and not serving it hoping I don't mind a sub par steak. I'm just genuinely disappointed with the gaming industry as a whole for what's becoming a normal practice of not delivering games ready on time or to perform as meant to be on their release day. It should have had enough of an effect on the industry by now that all developers wouldn't dare put a release date on something until they have had more of a guarantee of being ready for that said day. It tarnishes the product in the consumers eyes no matter how well the product may deliver when it finally arrives. You couldn't tell me any different. I've got a degree in Advertising and have been working in the advertising industry for almost 20 years.
    If you are in advertising, then you should already understand that release dates are run by the almighty (insert relative monetary unit here).
  • edited April 2012
    If you are in advertising, then you should already understand that release dates are run by the almighty (insert relative monetary unit here).

Which is why Steam's version is out and not telltale's. They still wanted to perfect the game even more.
  • edited April 2012
    Steam has released stuff before telltale wanted them to before.

Sometimes it's the exact opposite like with Poker Night. Oh god, that was a trainwreck of a release... Though they patched it so I forgive them.
  • edited April 2012
    Worst I remember was Puzzle Agent, that got pretty close to the hour IIRC...

The moral of this story is that we are used to this kind of stuff happening and are ok with it by now... not saying that's a good thing, but still.

That's why it's part of the Telltale Games Experience and the Steam buyers are missing out! :)
  • edited April 2012
    indeed :S oh well. I guess I will play something else for a few days while I wait...
  • edited April 2012
    Not trying to be rude Nathan, but you don't seem to have a concept of how businesses work. Telltale is the head honcho as far as this goes, they have the licensing rights. Steam is a subsidiary in this instance, which means major decisions goes through the higher ups. They didn't just arbitrarily release it the moment it was finished without some sort of approval.

LOL
    I WORK in the business.
    STEAM has its own agenda, bud. Not to be rude, but I've been in the business for years. The release date is the 24th. They release the 24th, regardless if TTG released their own copy or not.

There's contracts TTG signed with STEAM that goes into the nitty gritty details, buddy.
  • edited April 2012
    Sometimes it's the exact opposite like with Poker Night. Oh god, that was a trainwreck of a release... Though they patched it so I forgive them.

Plus, free shiny weapons/watches/badass glasses.
  • edited April 2012
    Release it already
  • edited April 2012
    Guess what It is still the 24th they NEVER said at what time on the 24th so stop complaining people.

Oh, come on. People have a right to complain. I'm not personally upset with having to wait a few hours (or days) for a stable copy of the game but It's understandable that some people are.

Even if TTG didn't specify what time of day the game would be released, I'm sure most customers expected it to be available on the start of the day, not at the end of it and TTG had to know this. The proof of this is the fact that so many people are on these forums complaining about the game not being out yet. "They didn't say what time on the 24th" seems like a really poor excuse and it comes across as more of an insult. I'm much more happy with the earlier red response which explained that differences in ttg's build vs Steam's unstable build is the reason for the delay.

I'm used to picking up or dl'ing a game on the morning of it's release date and many even at 12:01am on the day of release, due to the fact that many companies have their game ready to launch days if not weeks ahead of the release date.

I doubt things are currently going as planned and if TTG could, they would have released it at the start of the business day. Problems arose and it's obvious they are working to release a stable copy worthy of TTG's name.

Like I said, I don't mind the wait and I didn't even plan to play this game today but that doesn't mean that people who DID plan to play this game early today do not have a valid point when they complain.
  • edited April 2012
    Today will forever live in infamy as the day Steam got the release on 4/24/2012 at noon Eastern, but the Telltale Preorderers had to wait until (Let's say) 4/24/2012 at 9 PM Eastern! Those 9 hours make me so angry at Telltale, I'm just going to buy their game twice, just so I can complain about the crash at startup!
  • edited April 2012
    CheesyChan wrote: »
    indeed :S oh well. I guess I will play something else for a few days while I wait...

I don't think THAT will happen. Worst case scenario, it's late for people in other time-zones and they play it tomorrow.
  • edited April 2012
    Nathanial wrote: »
    LOL
    I WORK in the business.
    STEAM has its own agenda, bud. Not to be rude, but I've been in the business for years. The release date is the 24th. They release the 24th, regardless if TTG released their own copy or not.

There's contracts TTG signed with STEAM that goes into the nitty gritty details, buddy.

boo-yah
  • edited April 2012
    The last post I read saying it will be out shortly was around midday for me, 1ish. It is now 7:35 and no Walking Dead.

Needless to say I died 2 hours ago. I'm a zombie now. Less interested in playing the game or it's unreasonably late release and more interested in brains.
  • edited April 2012
    LOL
    I WORK in the business.

I'll take that at face value since I don't believe that based on your response. You haven't acted at all like you have an understanding of the business at all. You're not getting it, Steam can't just release whenever they feel like it, they are procedures involved. Telltale calls the shots, Steam has to go through the proper channels through them before they can release. If you don't get that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Edit: "boo-yah"
  • edited April 2012
    Chillforce wrote: »
    The last post I read saying it will be out shortly was around midday for me, 1ish. It is now 7:35 and no Walking Dead.

Needless to say I died 2 hours ago. I'm a zombie now. Less interested in playing the game or it's unreasonably late release and more interested in brains.

lol finally someone with a sense of humor
  • edited April 2012
    the annoying about that is I had today off.. I have to work tomorrow... so you know.. I was hoping to have a decent days play before having to go back to work :S
  • edited April 2012
    It's already the 25th here - 08:35 am. Still no game?

I guess Telltalegames has to fight some major bugs and doesn't want to release a broken version. So they keep us waiting...

When I pre-ordered games here some years ago, I actually got access to download it at least a day before the official release. It's sad that this changed.

Well, I guess I'll be able to play it after work. I just hope that the servers won't be too slow to download it.
  • edited April 2012
    I'll take that at face value since I don't believe that based on your response. You haven't acted at all like you have an understanding of the business at all. You're not getting it, Steam can't just release whenever they feel like it, they are procedures involved. Telltale calls the shots, Steam has to go through the proper channels through them before they can release. If you don't get that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Edit: "boo-yah"

Again, steam has released stuff before it was supposed to before. Poker Night IIRC wasn't supposed to be released yet at all and Steam put it up.
  • edited April 2012
    Rampart wrote: »
    Oh, come on. People have a right to complain. I'm not personally upset with having to wait a few hours (or days) for a stable copy of the game but It's understandable that some people are.

Even if TTG didn't specify what time of day the game would be released, I'm sure most customers expected it to be available on the start of the day, not at the end of it and TTG had to know this. The proof of this is the fact that so many people are on these forums complaining about the game not being out yet. "They didn't say what time on the 24th" seems like a really poor excuse and it comes across as more of an insult. I'm much more happy with the earlier red response which explained that differences in ttg's build vs Steam's unstable build is the reason for the delay.

I'm used to picking up or dl'ing a game on the morning of it's release date and many even at 12:01am on the day of release, due to the fact that many companies have their game ready to launch days if not weeks ahead of the release date.

I doubt things are currently going as planned and if TTG could, they would have released it at the start of the business day. Problems arose and it's obvious they are working to release a stable copy worthy of TTG's name.

Like I said, I don't mind the wait and I didn't even plan to play this game today but that doesn't mean that people who DID plan to play this game early today do not have a valid point when they complain.

I've been saying this the whole day. Minus the part where you are reasonable and willing to wait. I had a fever. Anyway, now there are two of us. I guess that's how the infection spreads.
    We're smart zombies.
  • edited April 2012

I'm not here to "prove" I work in the industry. I've released a game myself, and I work for a company that's going through the STEAM submission process.

The truth of the matter is, they signed a contract with Valve Software (STEAM) to have the game released on the 24th.

There is no magic button that TTG presses to cancel STEAM's release. Valve had the build, it was slotted, it was released.

The truth of the matter is, it's all in the paperwork. Not saying STEAM wouldn't remove it at TTG's discretion, but I doubt it's such an "issue" to begin with.
  • edited April 2012
    Really? It's only 8 PM EST here. Where they are its about 5 PM. What is to say they aren't staying up late? And technically the game was released, so if you're really that antsy about a $5 episode, go buy it elsewhere and request a refund here or something.

Stuff happens. I'm a developer myself, and I can tell you, unforeseen consequences happen. It doesn't mean that it's fun or fair to us players though, but cut them some slack.

You don't know what TTG is going through to get the game out.

Then again, an update for those of you guys waiting would probably be nice..

How the hell can you put a release date when it's not ready? Explain that to me please? I need the "Republicant" explanation as to why. Meaning, please go on not making sense.
  • edited April 2012
    I can guarantee one thing...none of the staff will be going home early tonight :P
  • edited April 2012
    I'm not here to "prove" I work in the industry. I've released a game myself, and I work for a company that's going through the STEAM submission process.

begin with.

Out of morbid curiosity, what game is it?
  • crofaelcrofael Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2012
    We're going to have an official announcement soon. I'm not authorized to give the details, but I wanted to let you guys know that a definitive answer is imminent.
This discussion has been closed.