Who survived your last choice?

Comments

• What did he have in those woods?

I left Asher, which seems to be an Unpopular opinion on here. I left Asher because I really did not care for him. His story felt so boring,

• edited July 2015

Man, though "Nest of Vipers" was my least favorite episode of them all, this final decision prior to the episode's ending was the toughest. I favored both Asher and Rodrik, though the latter a bit more. I played Rodrik in a balance of peaceful and violent, depending on the situation, but in the back of my mind I couldn't wait to see him rise up again and put down the Whitehill scourge. Duncan was the traitor in my story and he argued that he was attempting to save House Forrester from Rodrik because he was too violent and I executed him in the grand hall.

Once I received the option of either leaving Rodrik or Asher behind, I almost knew immediately I had to leave behind Rodrik. Though violent, this was my chance to send him off stoically. I never thought twice about Gwyn or Elaena. But prior to being killed, Rodrik was a glimmer of his old self and that was satisfying enough for me. I also thought about how Asher, once exiled, would return to Ironwrath and save the family that had once banished him. Asher was also coming into his own, attempting to save his family from their fate, despite their previous relationship. It is a fitting piece to the puzzle, at least in my opinion.

The somewhat difficult decisions that accompanied the final decision of episode 5 is what saved it. I cannot wait for the final episode! I'm just hoping in the end, the Forresters best the Whitehills, no peace, just war.

• I think Asher's death is very George RR Martin. He had a great episode (in my game anyway), everything was looking up and I was just starting to like him. And... he's gone.

Alt text

• Knives, Small Dead Animals, Bloody pieces of Paper... Just... Awful things... I don't want to talk about it man, Those are painful memories.

TheBlackSun posted: »

What did he have in those woods?

• Asher, had to think about it for a long time, but I think he is the best chance for victory.

• I felt the same way.

bloop posted: »

Rodrik.... which is strange to me, I liked Rodrik more. But I hope to god Asher finally shows the animalistic nature he has onto Gryff. like Elissa said.

• For my main play through I let Rodrik die (I went back and did a copied save to see Asher die, and I have to say that final conversation with Beshka is so moving). I felt that Rodrik, based on how I had played him, was simply the right man to make a last stand. He had been my uncompromising man of iron character, and I could not see him making any other choice at that point but to go down in a final attempt to save his house.

• Yeah honestly I'm also getting sick of only being offered decisions that force you into obvious traps. They suspect its a trap before they land but do it anyway, without taking any special precautions, lets not land where we are expected....

Kenthen posted: »

I just don't care, I may as well have flipped a coin. If the writers are gonna force me to watch as everyone sniffs paint and walks into the

• Game: "Who Stays Behind?"

Me:

Alt text

• Alt text

Game: "Who Stays Behind?" Me:

• Anyone else notice Gryff's eye is somehow healed? WTF I maimed him I thought?

• Rodrik.

• totally agreed bro

I saved Asher for several reasons: * Finally returning to Westeros and dying within minutes is cheap and feels rushed * I think it mak

• Yeah, I saw that and went " WHAT IN THE SEVEN HELLS?!?! YOUR EYE WAS COMPLETE SHIT TWO DAYS AGO!". Then, to add insult to injury, he has his men maim Rodrik and spit on him like I had Rodrik do to Gryff. It's almost like "What's the point?!" -_-

Trickhead posted: »

Anyone else notice Gryff's eye is somehow healed? WTF I maimed him I thought?

• It hurt but I left Rodrik behind. I figure Asher is the huge unknown quantity to the Whitehills. Ramsay said he's staying out of it, allegedly...so I've got the two people I think would help with Asher and Royland for a slugfest with the Whitehills since diplomacy is now obviously off the table.

Hopefully one day comes the freedom to slap Gryff around. We can dream.

• I picked Asher. Although I wanted to pick Rodrik badly Asher just seemed like the better choice as far as story goes. I really wanted Rodrik to stick around so he could finally get his revenge on the Whitehills, but there was likely to be conflict with the Pit Fighters following his orders if Asher died. It also made more sense since Royland was my traitor and I pretty much did take Duncan's advice. Whether you agree with Royland or not, Rodrik had failed to protect the house, so I kind of looked at Rodrik's sacrifice as him symbolically handing the keys over to Asher. With Asher's attitude, and the added fuel of another brothers death, he now has no reason not to rain total hell down on the Whitehills.

Though I have a sneaking suspicion that it may not be too hard to get the Pit Fighters to listen to Rodrik in the next episode. Guess I wont know until I do a second playthrough.

• When I saw the question I thought it ment by someone would hold the gate lever while the other one fights off the whitehills so I chose rodrick to hold the lever but it actually ment one person would die so Rodrick died for my playthrough. I dont know
    if that was the best choice or not. But the end made rodrick look so badass, so thats enough for me.

• edited July 2015

Asher/Rodrik decision poll: http://strawpoll.me/5004034

• It's looking more and more like that will be the case.It's funny, after the previous episode there was a thread about that subject. In it I said it would be a good thing if next season we saw something different. Now, I don't know. I'd be kind of sad if that happens.

We've still got Talia, Ryon, Mira, Malcolm and mother Forrester they could go on the run or something. Echoing the Starks all getting split up.

coolsoeb posted: »

Who says the next season is going to be about the same house?

• Made sense the older brother should go

• And by go I mean die

Coolwheel posted: »

Made sense the older brother should go

• In my playthrough, RIP Asher Grin :(

• I left Rodrik.

Asher is a better fighter (He beat the best of the pit fighters), while Rodrik I'm not convinced is fully recovered.
    Asher has the support of the pit fighters and Beshka who they desperately need.
    I happen to find Asher a more fun character and I also think I made some dumb decisions with Rodrik and feel in Westeros in the last episode I can wipe the slate clean without previous choices holding my Lord back.

• I just screamed out WTF when i had to do that decision !!!! I can't even fucking believe telltale makes me do this !!! I first let Asher stay coz I dont want Elena to be alone, I want them get married !!!!!!!! And after all Rodrik is the Lord, he can lead the pit fighters i think, that's why I chose Asher stay. But after that, I just can't get away the Asher grin out of my head, he's just so damn charm! And Beskha cry out for Asher touched my heart deeply ! So I copy the saving into file 2 and make Rodrik stay lol Sorry Elena ~ But I have a feeling that even though u saved who , he will still die in episode 6 ! Crap !

• i Liked Rodrick so much more than Asher
    but i left him behind beacause i wanted to hate them more and plus the pit fighters only fight for Asher.
    and leaving Asher behind was a alittle out of character for him but it was in Rodrick's personality that he would sacrifice himself for his family because he is the eldest son

• I was very ambivalent toward this decision.

From a character point of view, it'd make more sense for Asher to stay behind, but from a story point of view it'd make more sense for Rodrik to stay behind.

• I loved Asher, that's why i decided to leave him

• edited July 2015

I very rarely go back and change what I've said/done in the game since I believe that my choices are my choice and that in real life we don't have do-overs, I have never even imaged playing separate saves until now. I just couldn't leave one fully, especially after coming onto the forums.

I did choose to leave Asher behind at first. I prefer Elaena over Gwyn and it wouldn't be fair if she lost two people so quickly. In my play through Rod promised Talia but saved the traitor anyway (she was the only one pleading with me to kill him but if two people even older than me are telling me to spare the dude what am I going to do, listen to a child?) So that might be awks coming home to but I felt like the family would receive Rod better. Also, sure Asher brought over the pit-fighters but he has no idea how to be lord and when push comes to shove truthfully the pit fighters are stuck. Their homelands are a sea away and they don't know these new lands so they'll have to stay with the house no matter what.

But then I also thought of the possibility of keeping Asher, mainly because I love him and Beshka and also because him dying so suddenly would make my playing ep 1-4 seem like such a waste of time. But he and Gwyn could never be together, let's be real even if everything does work out war-wise and tbh if they do end up together I think that would just show his ignorance on how bad the situation between the families really were.

Idk I felt like leaving Asher/Rod was the same as when I had to choose the sentinel. I wanted Royland to be my sentinel temporarily until the war was over, because he knew fighting but then I wanted to switch over to Duncan (yes I know he's the traitor but I didn't know in ep 1) because you need a voice of reason and someone with wisdom when you're in peace. I chose Royland as sentinel at the time because I figured there would be no house to lead peacefully if we didn't get a little blood on our hands first, but the Asher/Rod decision was life or death so I chose Rod first because I felt like once/if the war was over Asher wouldn't have as much to offer as a diplomat/lord. But, like I said, I made two save files so I'll be able to see how this all goes down.

• edited July 2015

Rodrik. It just felt like the more practical option. I like Asher's happy-go-lucky style more, but that isn't what a lord needs to be. He needs to be dignified, intelligent, practical, and especially he needs to know the job he's doing. Asher's been living as a mercenary. Rodrik's been groomed for this role and has been the one dealing with the Whitehills. He knows the nuances of the situation better than Asher - the tempraments and actions of his enemies. He doesn't need to be brought up to speed on anything. And imo, it's more his battle on a personal level.

I will be having two different save files with both of them saved though. I want to see everything!

• edited July 2015

I still can't believe how many more people--at least on the forums--chose to save Asher over Rodrik. If only because, before Episode 5's release, everyone was so pro-Rodrik, and either indifferent, or just mildly fond of Asher...

But anyway, I saved Rodrik. Reasoning? Well, firstly I like Rodrik just a little bit more than Asher. Just a little. And it seemed far more Asher-like, to sacrifice himself, and go out in a badass blaze of glory. In my mind, during that final moment, this is their thought process:

Rodrik: (Because of his stubbornness) There must be a way to get this gate open, there must, there must!

Asher: (Because of his pragmatism) We're going to die unless someone holds this gate! I must do it.

There's also Elissa's description of him from episode 1 to go on, and her story about how he saved Ethan from that bully. "Asher does not hesitate. He acts!"

But also, because of the impact on House Forrester. Losing Rodrik would have dire negative impact on the house, e.g. on Talia and Elissa. Whereas, Asher--who they've not seen in years, would not. A common argument I keep hearing is, "But the Pit Fighters won't follow Rodrik..."

Firstly, they will because... plot. And Beskha. But mainly because, ok they respect and love Asher? Well guess what, the Whitehills just murdered him? I think they'll want some revenge, and that's exactly what Rodrik will offer.

And lastly, Rodrik is already commonly regarded as a hero, and a good man. He doesn't need to sacrifice himself to prove that to anyone, or to history. But far as Westeros is concerned, and the majority of the Forrester family, Asher is a hot-tempered, wayward child, who fell in love with the enemy and got exiled. I think him dying to protect his brother, and the Lord of House Forrester, changes more perceptions than Rodrik's does.

Ultimately, I'm just glad it was a 50/50 choice, at least statistically. Makes things more interesting. And a good argument can be made for saving both, but there you go... my reasons. :-S

• This choice was total bullshit but at the same time masterful. It was the first time I ever cried to a Telltale Game. I couldn't fight it, I was horrified I had to choose between Asher and Rodrick. I went with Asher because he needs to be there to lead the pit fighters and to save his house. But losing Rodrick is just...Horrible. I couldn't fight tears welling in my eyes as I watched Rodrick fight with every last bit of his breath as it took a whole troop of men to take him down. All those men against one, damn cowards. Please tell me I'm not the only one that cried to this choice. I fully agree with a previous poster that this is single-handedly the most heartfelt and depressing choice ever presented in a Telltale Game across all series.

In my case and my playthrough, RIP Rodrick. You will not be forgotten.

• I left Rodrik behind because from Rodrik's perspective, i just couldn't let my little brother die. I'm a brother to two little sisters myself and i just couldn't imagine one of them sacrificing their lives to save me. That would be selfish and i wouldn't be able to live with the knowledge knowing i should have saved them because that's my job as big bro. It's a very emotional decision but that's how i made up my choice.

• I agree. Also, to add to this. While on the boat talking to Beshka (if choosing the right option/response) Asher will go on to say that Rodrik is the born and bred lord of Ironrath, and that every man learn to love him, even if he can't fight.

DillonDex posted: »

I still can't believe how many more people--at least on the forums--chose to save Asher over Rodrik. If only because, before Episode 5's rel

• I like to make another argument to keep Rodrik alive. Unlike Asher, Rodrik has spend two years fighting a war. He is a veteran of the War of the Five Kings. He knows tactic, strategy and warfare better than Asher.

Asher may be the superior fighter, but Rodrik is both a fighter and a leader capable to reign in a times of peace.

DillonDex posted: »

I still can't believe how many more people--at least on the forums--chose to save Asher over Rodrik. If only because, before Episode 5's rel

• Asher survives for me. Broke my heart because I love both of them, but in the end I chose Asher. I did not have him work so hard to get home, only to have him die within 5 minutes of making port. I wanted him to properly reconcile with his family, godammit!

I also didn't want to leave Beskha... the only reason she was even in Westeros in the first place was for her "little brother" Asher. Can you imagine sailing across the ocean to some unknown land just because your BFF asked you to, and then said BFF goes and DIES on you as soon as you get there??? So when you hear Beskha shouting at Asher not to leave her during the big decision, I was like "No, Beskha I won't leave you :("

Besides, I felt like Rodrik already had his second chance at life and now it was time to pass the mantle on.

Idk, honestly I think there are equal amounts of practical reasons for either choice, so I made mine off of my emotions :/

• As a last cruel plot twist if you chose to leave Rodrik, Elena will become pregnant. I'm calling it.

• I left Asher behind.. but it broke my heart because I love them both so much. I just REALLY like Rodrik's character so i couldnt see him die, especially infront of Gryff like that. Asher will be avenged though. R.I.P <3 :(

• Yeah Rodrik is definitely my favorite. Totally with you there on Gryff. Rodrik even said something like "you aren't the man to kill me", so I just couldn't allow that to happen.

Suzy222 posted: »

I left Asher behind.. but it broke my heart because I love them both so much. I just REALLY like Rodrik's character so i couldnt see him die, especially infront of Gryff like that. Asher will be avenged though. R.I.P

• I left Rodrik behind. My reasoning was the "sellswords" probably wouldn't be to keen to fight without Asher. Asher can also be the new Lord so he can command whats left of House Forrester. I loved Rodrik but Asher is just more useful.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.