The “Telltale Deck ‘o Cards” Project

edited April 2018 in General Chat
A small group of fanartists on the Sam and Max forum recently made a really awesome fanart calendar. But Telltale is so much more, and the forum members are also really diverse and talented. So why don’t we undertake something a bit bigger- like a full 54 card (A-K and two Jokers) deck of cards?

This is not intended for sale- just a fun fanart project for everyone to do!

So that we have some degree of order, here are…

DA RULES:

1. All cards are to be 750 pixels wide by 1050 tall. Essentially, a standard poker sized 2 ½ inch by 3 ½ inch card at 300 dpi. Please upload your finished card to an image-hosting site like Imageshack, and give us all a link.

Since there has been a little confusion- 72 dpi is what home printers and the internet use (and it's the default for Photoshop), but good commercial printers use 300 dpi- and that's usually the standard used by scanners and digital cameras, too. I picked the resolution I did so that regardless of whether you use inches or centimeters, and regardless of your grahic program's settings, we'll have uniformly sized cards.

2. One character, one card. So that we don’t end up with a deck half full of Nelson Tethers, once a character is claimed it’s out of the pool of options. However, characters that have more than one distinct model (human versus demon LeChuck come to mind, or Sam versus a doggleganger), may be treated as spearate characters.

3. Choosing a card: When choosing a card, name the card you’re doing and the character. If you’re doing a joker, pleae mention whether you want the red or black one. First posted, first served.

4. You have three weeks to finish once approved. If you’re not done, tell us that you’re still alive or something. If we haven’t heard from you, the card and character you picked go back into the pool for someone else to choose if they want.

5. Your card must contain the suit and number somewhere on its face. Where, or how large, is entirely up to you. Jokers can say “Joker” or have some other kind of indication without words, but must specify the color somewhere.

6. Other than the size of the card, and that it contains its number and suit, your card can look however you please so long as YOU MADE THE ART ON THE CARD. But don’t limit yourself to just drawing- a photograph of cosplay, a diorama, sculpture- anything goes! Be creative!

7. If you're done with your card and you'd like to make another, feel free..

LASTLY, 8. THIS IS NOT A CONTEST. This is a collaborative project for fun. If you want to participate, pleae do! Be creative, enjoy it, and if you follow rules 1-6, you’re set. There are no prizes, there are no awards. This is just a chance to make something really cool with your fellow forumites.

Below are the claimed cards and characters; this will be updated as things are taken (numbers with links have been completed).

CARDS:
Heart:
2 (dustindemon, Sexy Peepers)
3 (The Gentleman, Nelson Tethers)
4 (yoshiwam, Marquis de Singe)
5 (Jennifer, Theodore Dudebrough)
6 (Spadge, Satan)
7 (divisionten, Anemone)
8 (Jennifer (based on an idea by divisionten), Hidden People)
9 (yoshiwam, Sister Agnes)
10 (Light, Trixie Trotter)
J (Silly Stell, Noir Sam)
Q (Falanca, Morgan LeFlay)
K (Spinky, Senor Cardgage)
A (lombre, Charlie Ho-Tep)

Spade:
2 (Jennifer, The Great Red Dragon)
3 (Klatuu, Murray)
4 (Jennifer, Steve)
5 (prizna, Randal Scruffman)
8 (Weeberjake, Einstein)
9 (Jennifer, Gentleman Claptrap)
10 (Jennifer, Tycho)
J (Jennifer, Tyrion Lannister)
Q (light-rises, Dr. Momma Bosco)
K (SunnyGuy, Sameth)
A (Jennifer, Perducci)

Diamond:
2 (Vainamoinen, Baby Amelia Earhart)
3 (Jennifer, Gil Grissom)
4 (GuruGuru214, the COPS)
5 (Spadge, Flycatcher)
6 (Jennifer, Lennie Briscoe)
7 (lombre, Larry Palaroncini)
8 (Jennifer, Hector)
10 (Jennifer, Gromit)
J (Spinky, Raptor)
Q (SecretFawful, Elaine Marley-Threepwood)
K
A (The Highway, Treasure Crab)

Club:
2 (Secret Fawful, Rick Grimes)
3 (TyrannusMaximus, Narrator)
8 (Falanca, Young Emmett)
9 (Lehfeels, Alex)
J (Jennifer, Sal)
Q (Vainamoinen, Sybil Lincoln-Pandemik)
K
A (Klatuu, GLaDOS)

Jokers:
Red (rubygloommel, Max)
Black (Hayley the Hedgie, Sam)

Back Cover:

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Sounds fun.... I think I'd claim the 6 of Hearts, Satan from S&M.
    EDIT: Done and done....

picture.php?albumid=276&pictureid=2333

Check out the 750x1050 version back on my DeviantART page.
  • edited February 2011
    Despite my lack of quality artistic ability, I'll claim the Jack of all trades of Spades and Stan.
  • edited February 2011
    Added! Good luck! ^__^
  • edited February 2011
    I will laugh till the cows come home is someone takes someone like Sam and makes him the 4 of Hearts or something and then puts Nefirtiti as a King.
  • edited February 2011
    Ribs wrote: »
    I will laugh till the cows come home is someone takes someone like Sam and makes him the 4 of Hearts or something and then puts Senor Cardgage as a King.

Fixed. You're welcome.
  • edited February 2011
    Someone should really do the 3 of clubs as Max, from the joke in 304.
  • edited February 2011
    I'll try to do Sameth for the king of spades.

Just one question...how much would 750x1050 be in centimeters, I have to draw this thing on a sheet of paper .__.
  • edited February 2011
    SunnyGuy wrote: »

Just one question...how much would 750x1050 be in centimeters, I have to draw this thing on a sheet of paper .__.

26.46 x 37.04 according to photoshop

Also; what a waste of a 2000th post.
  • edited February 2011

It's a pixel count. Since you are doing this by hand, it would be determined by the dpi of your scanner or camera you are taking the photo with. Tell me the DPI and I can tell you the size you need to draw.
    Ribs wrote: »
    26.46 x 37.04 according to photoshop

Also; what a waste of a 2000th post.

That's only if you are using photoshop at its default setting of 72 dpi- good for the internet, bad for printing.
  • edited February 2011
    It's a pixel count. Since you are doing this by hand, it would be determined by the dpi of your scanner or camera you are taking the photo with. Tell me the DPI and I can tell you the size you need to draw.

I have absolutely no idea ^^;
  • edited February 2011
    I have absolutely no idea ^^;

Scanner or camera? I might be able to look it up for you.
  • edited February 2011
    That'd have to wait until I'm back home...which would be in like 8 hours.
  • edited February 2011
    That'd have to wait until I'm back home...which would be in like 8 hours.

All right, let me know when you are home. But I've got you down for the King of Spades, Sameth unless you say otherwise. ^__^
  • edited February 2011
    If it helps, the size for one of my scans of a full page is like 1160x1600.

And Ace? I asked for King but Ace sounds good too XD
  • edited February 2011
    If it helps, the size for one of my scans of a full page is like 1160x1600.

And Ace? I asked for King but Ace sounds good too XD

Twas a typo on my part. It's listed as King. Something tells me getting some villains as Aces would be cool.
  • edited February 2011
    Oh ok. In any case, I'll have to practice before I actually attempt this since I want it to look good (relatively to what I can do that is XD).
  • edited February 2011
    Oh I'd love to do that, but Iunno. My drawing schedule is pretty full these days.
  • edited February 2011
    Can I have Charlie Ho-Tep for Ace of Hearts?
  • edited February 2011
    I would do Sal as the jack of clubs, but I suck at art. May I suggest someone does it, as it would be awesome to see a little love for Sal.
  • edited February 2011
    I would do Sal as the jack of clubs, but I suck at art. May I suggest someone does it, as it would be awesome to see a little love for Sal.

Never tried Sal, so I'll pass.

Oh the hell. I want Queen of Hearts for Morgan. Just tell me when the deadline is.
  • edited February 2011
    By complete coincidence I've already done Max on a Joker card? I dunno if you want that one or not? Otherwise I'd be happy to do something else :)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Three weeks? I'm in for the cheesy stuff:

Sybil / Queen of Diamond

Shoot, Falanca was faster with the QoH. It's Queen of Diamond, then.

...I wanted Fawful to do Morgan.

I liked Sal too
    and wasn't happy about his early demise
    , but he is SO complex to draw. It's Steve's style still, who draws rats and cockroaches far more complex than humans, AND Sal is anthropomorphized to boot. Genius design, difficult to copy.

/edit: And now I hope I translated "As" right as "Diamond". Duh.
  • edited February 2011
    You know, this idea has reminded me of the Voodoo cards (and my occasional questioning about how comparable they would be to a proper Tarot deck). I'm tempted to recommend making a Telltale Tarot now (which, even if it was just the Minor Arcana, would allow an additional two cards to the planned 54 - four extra "face" cards in place of the two jokers).
  • edited February 2011
    So... who on earth could the other Queens be?

Marzipan? Homsar?!?
    edited February 2011
    Duh. Someone is bound to pick Elaine... and I personally hope for Momma Bosco somewhere. But I have enough to do right now. ;)
  • edited February 2011
    I would love to do this... unfortunately, my agenda says otherwise... sorry!! :C
    edited February 2011
    Just one, Hayley... you can't miss it!!!
  • edited February 2011
    Grrr... I have a week off, and still I must use it for study and art exam stuff because of the bloody exams... :'C
  • edited February 2011
    I think it'd be best for each card per suit to be from one franchise, so it's not like the 8s are all Monkey Island Characters.
    edited February 2011
    Errrr... the more restricted this is, the less people will participate.
  • edited February 2011
    Can I do homsar and senor cardgage as the jokers?
  • edited February 2011
    Spinky wrote: »
    Can I do homsar and senor cardgage as the jokers?

I think it's one card per person..
  • edited February 2011
    Ok, no problem. That's fair. Can I do Senor Cardgage as either a Joker or one of the Kings? Whichever you guys think would be a better fit.
    edited February 2011
    Hey Spinky, I think there's two Jokers - and one's possibly already taken. So take your pick QUICKLY! ;)

Here's the rundown, because I am mortally afraid to edit divisionten's initial post and mess stuff up:

Heart: 6, 8, Q, A
    Spade: J, K,
    Diamond: Q
    Club:
    Jokers: 1 (?Max?)

Characters: Charlie Ho-Tep, Hidden Person, Morgan LeFlay, Satan, Stan, Sammeth, Sybil Pandemik, (Max?).
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I'll take the Jack of Clubs for Superball if nobody minds? Just seems like a nice fit :)
  • edited February 2011
    Ok. I'll do Senor Cardgage as the King of Hearts.
  • edited February 2011
    I'd love to get in on this, but I can't really do anything but sprite art. Maybe later I'll see if I can think of one of the Homestar characters to try and do in 8-bit.
  • edited February 2011
    Just woke up. (timezones, remember?) This is lookin pretty good, guys! I'll go back and edit the initial post.

And, as for now, one card a person. Doesn't need to be complex- remember it's not terribly big!

EDIT: People really seem to like face cards. And, to whomever made a Max joker- does it fit the size requirement? If the answer is yes- please! If no, you are welcome to make another. Let me know. As of now, it's yours, but I'm not marking you down for it until you tell me.
  • edited February 2011
    Someone has to make one of those cheesy instruction cards too for total authenticity.

Its even better if its in engrish, (you know those cards are going to be so naughty! A-chica-chica-CHICKOW!! XD).
  • edited February 2011
    Just woke up. (timezones, remember?) This is lookin pretty good, guys! I'll go back and edit the initial post.

And, as for now, one card a person. Doesn't need to be complex- remember it's not terribly big!

EDIT: People really seem to like face cards. And, to whomever made a Max joker- does it fit the size requirement? If the answer is yes- please! If no, you are welcome to make another. Let me know. As of now, it's yours, but I'm not marking you down for it until you tell me.

http://rubygloommel.deviantart.com/art/Joker-Max-194222051

I think it's too big. Which is too bad, I really like it =/
Sign in to comment in this discussion.