Poker Night at the Inventory (some sort of crossover game?..)

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Because you touch yourself at night

Wow, lots of things are caused by people touching themselves at night.
    Aka is that your answer to everything?

(I say they should follow my example and do it during the day).
  • edited August 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Because... he is funny.

No penny aracde used to be funny, I've been reading the comic for about 7 years, and well...I don't know they just changed a lot.
  • edited August 2010
    Just so you know, I don't read Penny Arcade at all but I'm really looking forward to seeing that character done by telltale. And seeing him interact with the others and stuff.
    I think there is a lot of potential there, really. And I find that crossover much more exciting than the Universal deal for instance. Even if it's just a one-episode card game or something, like seems to be the most common theory.
  • edited August 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    No penny aracde used to be funny, I've been reading the comic for about 7 years, and well...I don't know they just changed a lot.

It's true I've been reading it for only around 1 year or so, and I'm both waiting for new updates and fiddling around archives. I'm not sure about expectations of other people, but I'm always amused by any form of comics they've been making. I haven't encountered a big change myself, actually.
  • edited August 2010

Penny Arcade's okay, but I was hoping that they focus more on their longer stories, such as Lookouts, Jim Darkmagic, and especially, Automata. These comics are beautiful, and they have so much potential.
  • edited August 2010
    tredlow wrote: »
    Penny Arcade's okay, but I was hoping that they focus more on their longer stories, such as Lookouts, Jim Darkmagic, and especially, Automata. These comics are beautiful, and they have so much potential.

I liked the lookouts, and Automata, and I Jim DarkMagic.

But their ideas have clashed and changed over the years.
  • edited August 2010
    I liked the lookouts, and Automata, and I Jim DarkMagic.

But their ideas have clashed and changed over the years.

What do you mean?
  • edited August 2010
    You speak like they lost their hopes of humanity and suddenly went evil, bent on destroying the entire universe.

And somehow you hint that it's "not cool".
  • edited August 2010
    You speak like they lost their hopes of humanity and suddenly went evil, bent on destroying the entire universe.

And somehow you hint that it's "not cool".

Who, me? And who are you referring to by "they"?

Though I do believe that destroying the entire universe is not cool. I care for the environment.
  • edited August 2010
    tredlow wrote: »
    Who, me? And who are you referring to by "they"?

Though I do believe that destroying the entire universe is not cool. I care for the environment.

Icedhope. Penny Arcade dudes. My can of sweet bug juice named Coca-Cola.
  • edited August 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Just so you know, I don't read Penny Arcade at all but I'm really looking forward to seeing that character done by telltale.

Who said Telltale had to do it?

And how do you look forward to a character you've never heard of, much less read about?
  • edited August 2010
    BoneFreak wrote: »

And how do you look forward to a character you've never heard of, much less read about?

To know more of him? I think it makes sense.
  • edited August 2010
    Who cares strong bad the heavy and max will be interacting anyway.

also look at my avatar. Im trying to spread hype.
  • edited August 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Who cares strong bad the heavy and max will be interacting anyway.

also look at my avatar. Im trying to spread hype.

And Tycho. Oh my GOD Tycho and Max.
  • edited August 2010

Er, isn't that game announced as one of theirs?

Never said I had never heard of him. I don't read Penny Arcade is what I said. I don't follow it. I know the two characters (brown-haired guy with striped shirt, apparently called Tycho, and black-haired guy with yellow shirt). And I've read a couple of strips that people have linked me to, hence why I said "I don't read the comic" rather than "I have never read any of the strips".

I'm not really into gamer webcomics, especially the one in which each strip is totally unrelated to the previous one. I tend to prefer webcomics that are more like graphic novels, one big story.
    Also, due to the way games work, gaming strips can age poorly because a joke that made sense due to current events makes less sense when you have no clue what these current events were. And I don't follow gaming news, I only get some of it from here now but that's it.

Anyways, my point is that reading the strip itself isn't much for me. This being said, here we have a character that, due to not reading the strip, I don't know. It's a character telltale likes enough to put in one of their games, and one they'll write lines for. I'm curious and interested to learn about that character and see what telltale does with him.

Honestly, I'm more interested in Tycho and the heavy, who are the two characters I'm the least familiar with (I also don't play TF2).
    I was familiar enough with both characters to recognise them from the silhouettes, but that sums up all I know about them: what they look like (add to that the "Meet" videos for the heavy).
    So, the game is going to feel new and fresh since it's with people I don't know yet but have reasons to believe I'd like and find funny when I do get to know them better.
  • edited August 2010
    You know it's been thirteen pages so I'm surprised no one else considered this possiblity: It's a crossover between Telltale, Valve AND Hothead games. Which would mean we could have someone like Deathspank joining in on the crazziness. As for the cards, I'm hoping for something along the lines of an action game that uses cards in an action-rpg fashion, but Texas Hold 'Em seems more likely. Anyway we'll just have to wait and see.

And I like Avistew's comment about getting to know new characters. After all I don't know much about Penny Arcade myself but I still played, and enjoyed, the demo for the first episode of the Penny Arcade games. Sometimes taking a chance on something new and unfamiliar is great to discover something you may eventually learn to love. Or loath and despise, but hey somethings weren't ment for eveyone.
  • edited August 2010
    It's gonna be a good week:
    Sam and Max on Monday
    This game announced on Thursday
    Metroid on Friday

:)
  • edited August 2010
    Woah. It took me 25 minutes to catch up on this thread.
    Now for my opinion! I recon it's part of Telltales pilot programs. I have no idea what the plot could be about though. If it does turn into a texas hold'em game then with Max and Strong Bad in it (I am unfamiliar with the other two and their personalities) I'm going to assume that whichever character wins the game gets world domination!

On another note: I don't think Max is holding a gun. It looks more like a bat or a baton, or something stick shaped anyway.
  • edited August 2010
    BEGSANOTHERQUESTION

Will Tycho have a 3D model? He never had one, and it's practically hard because of the 2D drawing style of his is known to have inconsistencies when looked from different angles.
  • edited August 2010
    JP, TTHE2. Is this a secret message from TTG they don't want me as costumer :(.

Although I suppose BTTF could be interesting. I just can't be hyped about it (yet)...
    *is sad*
  • edited August 2010
    BEGSANOTHERQUESTION

Will Tycho have a 3D model? He never had one, and it's practically hard because of the 2D drawing style of his is known to have inconsistencies when looked from different angles.

Nelson Tethers is a 3D model that looks 2D, isn't he? I'm sure Telltale could pull off a 2D looking Tycho (if they wanted to).
  • edited August 2010
    I just showed the trailer to a friend and she said "Is that Shaggy from Scooby Doo on the left?".

YOU KNOW WHAT WE DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Nelson Tethers is a 3D model that looks 2D, isn't he? I'm sure Telltale could pull off a 2D looking Tycho (if they wanted to).

Yes but how would a 2D character go WITH 3D characters sitting next to him?
  • edited August 2010
    Have you ever seen 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'?
  • edited August 2010

Or Toonstruck.
  • edited August 2010
    I just showed the trailer to a friend and she said "Is that Shaggy from Scooby Doo on the left?"

HOLY SPECULATIONS OF A CARD GAME!

i see the resemblance.
  • edited August 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    Or Toonstruck.

I've also seen Space Jam. Well, I know, it worked pretty well there, but it was live action + cartoon in the same movie and it was the charm of it. If they plan with 2D + 3D character to character, sure, but it won't have that charm at all, obviously. It may also mean the game will have a pretty static camera, underplaying the 3D models of the other characters.

I'm overthinking, maybe, but I just want to see Tycho in 3D for a change. That's kinda because I can't imagine him in 3D and want Telltale to give it a go in their best efforts.
  • edited August 2010
    Woah, just found this. I really hope that this isn't Texas Holdem'. An adventure game would be best. If they can pull off a platformer, that's good too. I just don't want this to be a mini-game, racing, or card-game type cash-in. Also, has anyone even considered the possibility of this being a full-fledged season? A long over-arching crossover story would be amazing. Also, I think only a few other resourses should be taken from each franchise besides the four charecters in the trailer. Cameos every-now-and-again would definatly be appreciated though. I'm definatly more excited for this than I am for Jurassic Park, maybe even Back to the Future. Also, this story must be canon for Sam & Max and Homestar. Penny Arcade is even discanon with itself and I've never played TF2(I'm sorry!).
  • edited August 2010
    well, this is telltale.
    so yeah. they might (what am i saying? they WILL) suprise us somehow.
  • edited August 2010
    Telltale Texas Hold'Em 2 or some other card game :) and its gonna ROCK!-.-

You can see they are holding cards in their hands.
  • edited August 2010
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    Telltale Texas Hold'Em 2 or some other card game :) and its gonna ROCK!-.-

You can see they are holding cards in their hands.

We can still hope it's not a card game...

Okay well, card game is also pretty cool (except the fact that I don't know poker... maybe it's Go Fish) but it doesn't hurt to expect more.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm very skeptical about this. I really hopes its not a card game, because such an epic crossover would deserve better then that. Although, it'd probably still be funny, and i'd most likely still get it.

I could see this as a kart-racing game (with more characters, of course) or even as an episodic series.
  • edited August 2010
    BEGSANOTHERQUESTION

Wait, Tycho Brahe, co-starring with Jonathan Gabriel in Penny Arcade Adventure: On A Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, didn't have a 3D model?

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!
  • edited August 2010
    At the point with all the silhouettes the characters are (going from left to right):
    Guybrush Threepwood/One of the guys from Penny Arcade.
    Max
    The heavy from TF2
    Strong Bad

It's either going to be some sort of weird TF2 mod where you play as the heavy or one of the other characters. Each character has their own weapons and you can tell who's on who's team by the colour of their hats. It would be called Valve vs. Telltale: Friday Night Rumble. This would be very, very awesome.

Or an adventure game where you play as Max and you try to uncover the some mystery.
  • edited August 2010
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    Wait, Tycho Brahe, co-starring with Jonathan Gabriel in Penny Arcade Adventure: On A Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, didn't have a 3D model?

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!

Wasn't it a fully 2D game? o_o I haven't played it.

EDIT: ooh.. I just failed. Sorry. I missed this one apparently. So he had a model.
  • edited August 2010
    No, it was a fully 3d rendered game.
    Also, to whoever said this would be a collaboration of Telltale and Hothead (In regards to Penny Arcade), Hothead doesn't handle Penny Arcade anymore as they've discontinued the games.
  • edited August 2010
    Holy mother of god telltale is making a game out of every good game ever made !!

This can be another version of 50k racewalker for all I care
    Where do I put my money
  • edited August 2010
    wellgolly wrote: »
    Where do I put my money

I would also like to know this. plzkthxbai
  • edited August 2010
    NNoah wrote: »
    No, it was a fully 3d rendered game.
    Also, to whoever said this would be a collaboration of Telltale and Hothead (In regards to Penny Arcade), Hothead doesn't handle Penny Arcade anymore as they've discontinued the games.

Holy shit.

Wouldn't it be cool if Telltale just... CONTINUED the series O_O
  • edited August 2010
    Holy shit.

Wouldn't it be cool if Telltale just... CONTINUED the series O_O

Thay can't, with Max and Strong Bad in it.
  • edited August 2010
    Thay can't, with Max and Strong Bad in it.

I mean, later, duh. The whole thing may actually be a sign, as they just wanted to make a collaboration as an early celebration for the new business deal for both sides, and the continuation of the series! Or maybe a brand new PA series made by Telltale!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.